The People-Powered $10K Challenge (#PP10K) is CAAAV’s 10-day grassroots fundraising campaign that activates the collective power of our friends, families, and social networks to raise $10,000 or more to support racial and economic justice.
YOUR CONTRIBUTION CAN HELP US
REACH $10K. DONATE NOW!
Last year’s #PP10K, 65 People Movers fundraised over $14,000. That $14,000 resulted in major impact for low-income Asian immigrant communities! Since last year:
- Our Chinatown Tenants Union is in discussion with the Department of City Planning (DCP), after we secured their commitment to negotiate with Chinatown/LES stakeholders earlier this year on our community-led rezoning proposal.
- CAAAV joined the citywide Coalition Against Tenant Harassment to fight for citywide Certificate of No Harassment.
- CTU tenants attended the Rent Guidelines Board hearings so they could speak about their stories of surviving tenant harassment in Chinatown and the need for another rent freeze.
- Publishing No Access: The Need for Improved Language Access, the first ever report on the experiences and policy recommendations of Asian immigrants in public housing leading to NYCHA adding Mandarin and Cantonese to their Central Call Center in addition to English and Spanish reaching tens of thousands Chinese residents. This win has opened the window of opportunity to push for other Asian and South Asian languages including Bangla and Korean and more language access reforms.
- CAAAV also launched our “Here to Stay” project, a collaboration between the Chinatown Art Brigade, Chinatown residents, and volunteers to collect tenant stories at storytelling workshops and organize public actions that project tenant stories onto walls to uplift the need to pass our rezoning plan.
Our Impact Already in 2017
- Over 130 tenants and youth trained on the federal policies coming down the pipeline and empowering them to fight back
- 60 tenants trained on their rights as immigrants
- “Know Your Rights” Trainings for 60+ Muslim tenants in Queensbridge
- Settled legal suits against three buildings managed by R.A. Cohen & Associates, but still organizing with plaintiffs to demand more
- Successfully pushed back against NYCHA’s lease renewal process which requires tenants to do the process online in English
- Secured meetings with the City Planning Commission to discuss rezoning in Chinatown and the Lower East Side
- 25 new youth cohort recruited for the 2017 cohort
Can you CONTRIBUTE TODAY?
Join us in a people-powered movement for leaderful communities, solutions developed by those directly impacted, and systemic change! Now that’s small change for BIG IMPACT!
If you have other questions or concerns, contact our Program Associate, Sharmin at email@example.com or call 212-473-6485.